I had a craving for hedgehog slice on the weekend.
I had one with my coffee in our local café and it brought back so many memories! I couldn’t remember the last time I had tried a hedgehog and it was so delish!
I guess that’s where the craving came from and I wanted to recreate it at home and recreate it, I did!
This recipe is super yummy, easy to make and looks awesome. I found it on a blog site called Clever Muffin and adapted it slightly to suit my tastes and it’s epic!
I took it to work and my colleagues are already asking me to make it again. It would be a super popular treat to make for a morning/afternoon tea.
Most recipes for hedgehog will call for dark chocolate on top but I find it a little bit too bitter so I like to mix it up with milk chocolate for extra sweetness. You could also use whatever nuts you fancy but walnuts are always my go-to and everyone loved the addition of pistachios!
250g of plain biscuits *any biscuit will do
1/2 cup of desiccated coconut
1/2 cup of roughly chopped walnuts
1/4 cup of roughly chopped pistachios
2 Tbsps of cocoa
150g of dark chocolate
395g tin of condensed milk
100g of milk chocolate
100g of dark chocolate
50g of white chocolate
- Grease and line a square cake tin or rectangle slice tin with baking paper.
- Place biscuits in a snap lock bag and remove excess air. Use a rolling pin to crush biscuits (a great way to vent some stress too 😉 )
- In a large bowl, combine biscuits, coconut, walnuts, pistachios and cocoa. Set aside.
- Put chocolate, butter and condensed milk in a saucepan over low heat until the mixture is melted and well combined. Allow to cool for a few minutes before adding to the dry ingredients.
- Press the mixture firmly in to your prepared tin and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.
- For the chocolate topping, put milk and dark chocolate in a heat proof bowl on top of a saucepan of simmering water make sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t tough the water). Stir gently until chocolate has melted.
- Spread melted chocolate evenly over cooled slice. Place in fridge to start setting while you melt the white chocolate using the same process as before. Place melted white chocolate in zip lock bag and snip the corner off. Pipe on top of chocolate topping to create swirl. You can also use a skewer to make it swirl easier. Place in the fridge again to set completely.
- When you’re ready to serve, use a hot knife to cut in to squares and devour. Store in the fridge.